Employment Visas

Obtaining Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas for Foreign Employees

People coming to the U.S. tend to fall into one of two categories recognized by U.S. immigration law based on intent: immigrants or nonimmigrants. Immigrants (including green card holders) are people who intend to live and work here indefinitely or permanently. Nonimmigrants are generally those who maintain a permanent residence in another country, whose presence in the U.S. will be temporary, and who intend to return home to their foreign residence at the end of their temporary stay.
At the immigration law firm of Philip Levin & Associates, our attorneys represent immigrants and nonimmigrants, businesses and foreign nationals, who need advice on and assistance with entry into the United States. To benefit from our experience with temporary employment visas of all kinds, contact our office.



California Business Immigration Lawyers for Nonimmigrant Employee Visas

The immigration attorneys at PL&A advise California businesses as well as individuals around the globe about their nonimmigrant entry options and assist them with applications for such visas as the following:

  • B-1 visas for specific short-term business purposes ranging from contract negotiations to seminars and conferences
  • E-1 and E-2 visas for nonimmigrant traders and investors who come to the U.S. to conduct business operations or develop a new enterprise
  • H-1B visas for professional and technical workers engaged in specialty occupations
  • J-1 visas for students, trainees, academics, researchers, professionals or experts participating in an approved Exchange Visitor program
  • L-1 visas for executives, managers or professionals employed by foreign affiliates of U.S companies
  • O-1 visas for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or sports


Helping employers retain the best and the brightest for their business needs

Once the U.S. employment relationship is underway, either the company or the individual might become interested in adjusting the employee’s status from nonimmigrant to immigrant, which opens up possibilities for achieving permanent residence, family reunification in the U.S., and eventual naturalization and U.S. citizenship, if desired. Generally, most cases fall under one of the following categories:

Employment-Based First Preference:

  • Persons of extraordinary ability
  • Outstanding professors and researchers
  • Certain multinational executives and managers

Employment-Based Second Preference:

  • Members of the professions holding Master’s or Ph.D. degrees
  • Persons of exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business
  • National Interest Waivers

Employment-Based Third Preference:

  • Professionals
  • Skilled workers
  • Other workers

PL&A will work closely with you to ensure that each case matches your needs and eligibility characteristics and is processed efficiently and effectively. We also work to avoid the inaccuracies and omissions that might delay or jeopardize your entry. We pride ourselves on bringing sound legal strategies and expert guidance whether your case requires use of the PERM labor certification process or it can be filed directly with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS).

For additional information regarding our ability to help your company with its immigration needs, or if you are a foreign national anywhere in the world who wants advice about your nonimmigrant visa options, please contact one of the Immigration Attorneys at Philip Levin & Associates, Prof. Corp.